- FOCUS ON REGIONS
- ACTIVIST IMAGES
Written by The Informed Aussie
Published on Tuesday, August 28th, 2012
A new study published by the Centre for Health, Environment and Justice titled Hidden Hazards: Toxic Chemicals Inside Children’s Vinyl Back-to-School Supplies has revealed that common school supplies are laden with toxic chemicals that have been banned in toys.
It was identified that school supplies made out of softened vinyl plastic contained dangerous levels of phthalates.
Phthalates are known to be hazardous even at very low levels of exposure. At high levels of exposure they can disrupt hormones, and have been linked to birth defects, infertility, early puberty, asthma, ADHD, obesity, diabetes, and cancer.
A summary of the results of the study are as follows:
Not only have dangerous levels of Phthalates been found in backpacks and other common school supplies, they have also been found in school lunch boxes.
One lunch box sold by Disney contained an alarming 29 times the limit set by US Federal Health Agencies. If this lunch box was considered a toy, it would be banned in the United States of America. Another lunch box sold under the Spiderman franchise was found to contain 27 times the limit set by US Federal Health Agencies.
Thankfully, there are ways parents can avoid exposing their children to this dangerous substance.
It is suggested that parents take note of the following:
The report recommends government agencies begin labelling which products contain phthalates.
The health and wellbeing of our children are under assault every day. Our children are frequently exposed to high levels of fluoride (proven to reduce intelligence) and aluminium (proven to cause Osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s Disease later in life), and now they are under assault from common products we have all taken for granted for many generations.
I encourage you to write to your local representative and DEMAND that products containing phthalates be labelled.